Our goal is to create a world-class research environment, which can help make coatings more efficient and more sustainable. That is why for many years the Hempel Foundation has been collaborating with DTU (Technical University of Denmark). In 2017 this collaboration culminated in the opening of CoaST – the Hempel Foundation Coatings Science and Technology Centre.
Knowledge is value. And the path to a more efficient and sustainable coatings industry - for the benefit of us all
Via collaboration between DTU and the Hempel Foundation, and with the assistance of an external Advisory Board, CoaST will be developed into a leading research centre in the field of coatings.
With CoaST our aim is to generate valuable knowledge about how coatings can be better utilised and prolong the service life of structures that provide us with the likes of energy, accomodation and infrastructure: for the benefit of the research community and the coating industry, but most of all of our common future.
Besides DTU the Hempel Foundation has supported scientific research at The University of Manchester and École Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Lille (ENSCL).
Q&A on coatings
Coating is the treatment of a surface that influences how long a ship, a bridge or any other structure can withstand weather and wind, salt water, extreme heat or anything else that may lead to the decomposition of a material.
In other words, coating is the means with which we best extend the service life of our plants and machines. It also enables us to give a surface a function: for example, to reduce pollution, increase fire safety or reduce algae fouling on ships’ hulls below the waterline etc.
- Anti-corrosiv coating protects ships, rigs, bridges and more against corrosion (rust)
- Chemical- and abrasion resistant coatings protects steel tanks, turbines and more against chemical or frictional tear
- Coatings for passive fire protection swells at extreme temperatures and prolongs the strength of a building in case of fire - thus giving more time for evacuation
- Erosion resistant blade coating for wind turbines reduces the tear of raindrops giving wind mills a longer life span
- Fouling control coatings prevents bio-fouling on ship hulls and thereby reduces friction and thus fuel emission significantly
- Thermal insulation coating can reduce the heat/energy loss in pipes