students will be benefiting this project
teachers will be trained and supported
WhereKarnali Pradesh, Nepal
Duration2023 - 2025
EconomyDKK 14 million
The COVID-19 Crisis and consequent closure of schools has left 9M+ children out of school in Nepal. The staggering scale and scope of school closures has caused significant strain on state schools, aggravating an already chronic crisis of learning with an average learning loss equivalent to over two years of schooling, and amplifying the importance of accelerated, adaptive approaches to address learning loss [UNESCO 2022]. Climate change continues to threaten compounded crises, including earthquakes and frequent floods, that affect the response, recovery, and resilience of the system.
Nepal has made meaningful progress in the provision of education for all. Since 2000, initiatives to increase access to school have been a success: net enrolment has advanced from 72% in 2000 to 96% in 2020 and achieved gender parity [World Bank 2021]. However, an increase in access camouflages a continued challenge: children are attaining lower and lower levels of learning and leaving school without the skills required for sustained success.
The state has supported several interventions to address and alleviate learning loss. However, these require significant scaling, strengthening, and sustaining, and support from strategic partners in order to alleviate over two years of learning loss.
Build the Basics [BTB] will work with 36,000 students [aged 7 to 10] and 1,800 teachers in 600 state schools across 40 palikas in Karnali Pradesh and Madhesh Pradesh.
It involves three interrelated, integrated interventions:
- Intervention 1: Student-centered instruction offers an evidence-informed, immediate, intensive intervention to address learning loss and accelerate foundational learning using Teaching at the Right Level;
- Intervention 2: School Strengthening offers an evidence-informed intervention to increase teacher capacities to administer accelerated, adaptive approaches to learning and to institutionalize these approaches across schools; and
- Intervention 3: Systems Strengthening advocates for, and increases accountability to, evidence-informed investments and interventions to improve learning levels – towards equitable, quality education for all.
BTB adopts an innovative accelerated, adaptive approach to target instruction, inspired by Teaching at the Right Level. This approach uses a combination of regular, rigorous assessment, grouping of students and targeted instruction to ensure all children are able to acquire these foundational skills. Specific strategies include (i) ascertaining learning levels using a rapid assessment tool that is simple to understand and use; (ii) articulating learning goals; (iii) grouping learners according to learning levels, regardless of age or grade; (iv) targeting and tailoring activities; and (v) teaching and learning using a combination of activities intuitively varied in complexity, child-centered and child led.
- Build the Basics will offer an evidence-informed, immediate, intensive intervention to address learning loss and accelerate foundational learning using Teaching at the Right Level
- foundational learning levels for 36,000 students affected by school closures will be improved
- BTB will increase capabilities and capacities amongst 1,800 teachers across 600 schools to scale, strengthen, and sustain improvements in learning levels for successive cohorts of students
- BTB will advocate for, and increase accountability to, evidence-informed investments and interventions to improve learning levels – towards equitable, quality education for all
- Through this intervention BTB intends to inform education policy and practice at the local, provincial, and federal levels of the system and advocating for increased investments and interventions to improve learning at scale